Narottam Morarjee Institute of Shipping
Narottam Morarjee Institute of Shipping was established on 3rd January, 1969 at Mumbai, under the joint auspices of the Government of India Shipping Industry. Institute is also known as NMIS .The Institute is registered under the societies Registration Act as well as under the Bombay Public Trust Act. For the bright career in shipping management NIMS offers professional qualifications like Post Graduate Diploma in Shipping Management. Associateship and Fellowship courses are also available.Read More
Narottam Morarjee Institute of Shipping Details
- Candidate age must be not less than 20 years and having the minimum qualification of Higher Secondary School Certificate examination.
- Candidates who have passed Graduates/ undergraduates with 2 years experience in shipping industry experience are eligible to apply.
- Candidate should secure 50% marks in all subjects in entrance exam which was conducted by the NMIS.
- The studentship for the Post Graduation Diploma in Shipping Management- First Year, is open to all those who are not less than 20 years in age having a degree in Arts, Commerce, Science, Law or in any faculty.
- The course leading to the Post Graduate Diploma in shipping the Post Graduate Diploma in Shipping Management- Final Year will be restricted only to those who have passed the Institute’s examination for the Post Graduation Diploma in Shipping Management- First year.
- Admission for the course leading to the Post Graduate Diploma in shipping management- final year will be restricted only to those who have passed the Institute’s examination for the post Graduate Diploma in shipping Management.
- Candidate who appear for the Entrance exam conducted by the Institute which was held in the first fornight of March every year.
- Prospectus and application form can be obtained from the Institute on Payment of Rs.100/- (US $ 30/- or equivalent in Indian Rupees for students outside India) by cash or D/D in favour of the Institute payable at Mumbai.
- The application should be duly filled by the candidates and submit before last date.
The institute conducts various courses of studies leading to
- Post Graduation Diploma in Shipping Management- 1st Year
- Post Graduation Diploma in Shipping Management- Final Year
Facilities and Infrastructure
The Institute provides facilities which enable a member or a student to gain professional qualification in commercial shipping, hitherto not available in our country.
Library: The institute at Mumbai is equipped with a library having useful books, magazines and literature on shipping and allied subjects. Local members can barrow books from the library on depositing prescribed amount.
Links: They are providing links like Shipping Industry Websites, Law+ shipping Law (India), Marine Insurance, Environmental Pollution, Marine security, Ports, Government of India Websites, shipbreaking (In India).
Life at Campus
The Institute’s 32nd convocation was held at SCI auditorium. There is a great response from the shipping fraternity that turned out in large numbers and helped make this convocation a truly memorable one. Three eminent persons were conferred with Honorary Fellowships, namely, Dr. Tolani, Chairman & MD of Tolani Shipping Company. Mr. K.M. Seth, Chairman of Great Eastern and Mr. Arun Mehtha, Chairman & MD of Varun Shipping. Successfully students were conferred with their certificates.
Placement and Future Prospects
The Institute had a most successful placement programme for the second year students. This was a pilot project which was held in the month of May. Nine reputed shipping companies participated and amongst the 30 students that attended, 17 have been shortlisted for the second round of interviews.
Both freshers and others, having been placed with the Institutes assistance, in reputed companies covering a wide range of shipping activities.
We thank all the companies for supporting our students and giving them an opportunity to work and grow in this industry. We also appreciate our student’s efforts in striving to work and grow in this Industry. We also appreciate our students efforts in striving to excel and prove worthy of this trust.