King George Medical College - Lucknow
King George Medical College-KGMC was established in 1911, is located in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. KGMC is affiliated to Allahabad University.
Admissions for undergraduate courses are made through U.P. State Combined Pre Medical Test (CPMT) score conducted by Director Medical Education & Training.Read More
- Bachelor in Dental Surgery More
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery More
- Diploma in Anesthesiology More
- Diploma in Child Health More
- Diploma in Clinical Pathology More
- Diploma in Dental Hygiene More
- Diploma in Dental Mechanics More
- Diploma in Larygology and Otology More
- Diploma in Obstetrics and Gynecology More
- Diploma in Ophthalmic Medicine and Surgery More
- Diploma in Orthopedics More
- Diploma in Public Health More
- Diploma in Radiodiagnosis More
- Diploma in Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases More
- Doctor of Medicine in Anesthesiology More
- Doctor of Medicine in Cardiology More
- Doctor of Medicine in Community Medicine More
- Doctor of Medicine in Forensic Medicine More
- Doctor of Medicine in Internal Medicine More
- Doctor of Medicine in Medicine More
- Doctor of Medicine in Microbiology More
- Doctor of Medicine in Neurology More
- Doctor of Medicine in Obstetrics and Gynecology More
- Doctor of Medicine in Pathology More
- Doctor of Medicine in Paediatrics More
- Doctor of Medicine in Pharmacology More
- Doctor of Medicine in Physiology More
- Doctor of Medicine in Psychiatry More
- Doctor of Medicine in Radio Diagnosis More
- Doctor of Medicine in Radiotherapy More
- Doctor of Philosophy in Internal Medicine More
- Doctor of Philosophy in Microbiology More
- Doctor of Philosophy in Obstetrics and Gynecology More
- Doctor of Philosophy in Pathology More
- Doctor of Philosophy in Pediatrics More
- Doctor of Philosophy in Pharmacology More
- Doctor of Philosophy in Physiology More
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychiatry More
- Doctor of Philosophy in Radio Diagnosis More
- Doctor of Philosophy in Radiotherapy More
- Doctor of Philosophy in Anesthesiology More
- Doctor of Philosophy in Community Medicine More
- Doctor of Philosophy in Forensic Medicine More
- Master of Chirurgical in Experimental Surgery More
- Master of Chirurgical in Neurosurgery More
- Master of Chirurgical in Pediatric Surgery More
- Master of Chirurgical in Plastic Surgery More
- Master of Dental Surgery More
- Master of Surgery in Anatomy More
- Master of Surgery in General Surgery More
- Master of Surgery in Ophthalmology More
- Master of Surgery in Orthopedics More
- Master of Surgery in Otorhinolaryngology More
- Master of Surgery in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery More
King George Medical College - Lucknow Details
More about KGMC Lucknow
The King George's Medical College (KGMC), Lucknow, India is one of the oldest and reputed medical colleges in the country.KGMC Lucknow has been a leader among medical education institutions in the country. By an act passed by the Uttar Pradesh Government on 16th September 2002, College was transferred under a new university, called the Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University.
Col. W Selby was the first Principal and Professor of Surgery and Lt. Col. CA Sprawson was the first physician. At the beginning KGMC had the total faculty consisted of 5 professors and 2 lecturers.
On the guidance of the General Medical Council of Great Britain, a framework of admissions and courses of study was organized. The funds allocated to the college could hardly be expected to cover the expenditure of a hospital on a comparable scale. Thus, the Government of India undertook this task.
King George Medical College-KGMC Lucknow provides various courses in the area of medical such as Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Doctor of Medicine/ Master of Surgery,Doctor of Philosopht in Doctor of Medicine.
College also offers some diploma courses such as Diploma in Radiodiagnosis, Diploma in Ophthalmic Medicine and Surgery, Diploma in Larygology and Otology,Diploma in Orthopedics, Diploma in Obstetrics & Gynecology, Diploma in Child Health, Diploma in Clinical Pathology, Diploma in Anesthesiology, Diploma in Tuberculosis & Chest Diseases, Diploma in Public Health and so more.
Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University (KGMC) is located in the heart of the historic city of Lucknow which is the capital of Uttar Pradesh. Lucknow lies about 500 km east of Delhi. The KGMC campus is spread over an area of about 100,000 sq meters. It is sited about 5 km from Charbagh Railway Station and is well connected to all parts of the city by public transport systems such as bus, tempo and taxi. Originally, the main administrative building, called the Administrative Block and the Anatomy and Physiology buildings were built in the beginning of 20th century.
How did KGMC glorious past ?
King George Medical College Lucknow was officially started in October 1911, the year when His Majesty King George V and Queen Mary visited India, by the then Lt. Governor of United Provinces - Sir John Prescott Hewett.
KGMC Lucknow postgraduate examination in Medicine and Pathology was held in 1918. In 1921, the Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University and associated King George's Hospital were previously transferred under the Lucknow University, on the establishment of the Lucknow University and the campus had the privilege of hosting the first convocation of the University on 30th October, 1922.
In 1931, great need was felt of a women's hospital. On November 1932, the Queen Mary's Hospital across the Shahmina Road was built and formally inaugurated with a bed strength of 52. A 3 storied building called Gandhi Memorial Hospital was constructed for medical cases with a bed strength of 144 in the year of 1951.
During the years 1981 to 1992, the college and hospital were taken over by the State Government and all administrative control was through the State Government instead of University of Lucknow.
The main Library of the KGMC Lucknow was started in 1911 next to be Principal Office (now the VC office). The current Central library building was built in 1978 and in 1996 a new block was added to that.
Scientific Convention Center is an impressive structure, which constructed on the ground of King George Medical College Sardar Patel Hostel at one end of Shahmina Road. It is built with MPs’ funds.
The center was a project of Ex Prime Minister and Member of Parliament from Lucknow, Shri Atal Behari Vajpayee. Construction was started in 2001. The 1st phase was inaugurated at a glittering ceremony on the 19th December 2004 by Shri Vajpayee in the presence of Shri Bhairon Singh Shekhawat, Vice President of India.
On 18th November 2004 a new dining hall for the faculty of King George Medical College Lucknow was inaugurated by the Vice Chancellor.
Facilities and Infrastructure
The Convention Centre of King George Medical College Lucknow is spread over an area of 200,000 sq feet. The dome measures 52.5 meters. It consists of 3 halls of 200, 400 and 1400 seating capacity, 2 banquet halls, 2 exhibition galleries, an open air theatre, a general library, an audiovisual library, rehearsal rooms, a foyer area below the dome and connecting corridors. All are fully air-conditioned. There are 8 lifts, including a capsule lift, which can be seen from the historical buildings of Lucknow.
The KGMC’s old library block has three floors with a floor area of 2900 sq. ft and the new block has 2 floors with a floor area of 1040 sq. mt. Today the library consists of about 30358 Medical books, 30500 back volumes bound journals and CDs of 119 important medical books. The library is currently subscribing to 89 print journals and 104 e-journals (WLL CORE journals) in addition to general non-medical books reading section.
Most of the functions of King George Medical College-KGMC Lucknow and university are hold in the conventional hall. The seating capacity is approximately 250. There are steps leading up on both sides from the central platform or Dias.
A podium and microphone system is fixed. The conventional hall can be used for functions by departments of the university, conferences etc at a charge of Rs 2000/- per single use per day. Prior permission of the Registrar is required.
Conference Hall of the KGMC Lucknow is an air-conditioned hall with a seating capacity of 90-100. There is a central table with seating around it. A microphone system and podium is fixed. The hall can be used for functions by departments of the university, conferences etc at a charge of Rs 2000/- per single use per day.
Dining hall is air-conditioned and fixed with fridge, TV and microwave oven, is called Building No 1905. The Vice Chancellor explained that the administration has decided to name all upcoming buildings on the premises after years such as 1905, 1910 and so on signifying 10 decades of achievements to mark centenary year celebrations. The dining hall is on the 1st floor and there is a kitchen on the ground floor. It can be used for dining by faculty or for arranging lunches for examiners or for parties.