Assam Medical College
Assam Medical College is located in Dibrugarh, Assam. College is popularly known as AMC Dibrugarh. It is affiliated to Dibrugarh University and its MBBS Degree is also recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI).
AMC Dibrugarh offers UG and PG courses in the field of Medicine. Admission to these courses are done on the basis of score of the common entrance test, conducted by All India and state level selection bodies. Every year the college admits 170 students in the undergraduate courses.
In a recent nationwide survey, the Assam Medical College and Hospital was ranked amongst the top 10 medical college across the country.Read More
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of surgery More
- Bachelor of Science in General Nurse Midwifery Course More
- Bachelor of Science in Auxiliary Nurse Midwifery Course More
- Certificate Course in Laboratory Technician’s More
- Certificate Course in ECG Technicians More
- Certificate Course in Radiographer More
- Diploma in Pharmacy More
- Doctor of Medicine in Microbiology More
- Doctor of Medicine in Pharmacology More
- Doctor of Medicine in Biochemistry More
- Doctor of Medicine in Medicine More
- Doctor of Medicine in Pediatrics More
- Doctor of Medicine in Radiology More
- Doctor of Medicine in Anesthesiology More
- Doctor of Medicine in Dermatology More
- Doctor of Medicine in Psychiatry More
- Doctor of Medicine in Physiology More
- Doctor of Medicine in Pathology More
- Master of surgery in General Surgery More
- Master of Surgery in Obstetrics and Gynaecology More
- Master of surgery in Ophthalmology More
- Master of Surgery in ENT More
- Master of surgery in Anatomy More
- Master of surgery in Orthopedics More
- Postgraduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics More
- Postgraduate Diploma in Child Health More
- Postgraduate Diploma in Ophthalmology More
- Postgraduate Diploma in Otorhinolaryngology More
- Postgraduate Diploma in Radio-Diagnosis More
- Postgraduate Diploma in Anesthesiology More
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychological Medicine More
Assam Medical College Details
More about Assam Medical College Dibrugarh
Assam Medical College was officially started on November 3, 1947 at Dibrugarh. However, it was earlier known as Dr. John Berry White Medical School, which was founded in 1902. It has the distinction of being the 1st medical college in the entire North-eastern region of India.
Following the establishment of 2 other medical colleges in Assam, one at Guwahati and another at Silchar, it now caters as the 3rd medical referral centre for the entire Assam as well as the some regions of neighboring states, especially Arunachal Pradesh.
Dr.John Berry White, MRCS, a British surgeon came to Assam in 1858 to work under the erstwhile East India Company during the British rule of India and served in upper Assam for long 24 years in different capacities and left his foot prints in all spheres of developmental activities of this region.
The most remarkable contribution of Dr.John Berry White, is his contribution towards the establishment of the "Berry White Medical School" at Dibrugarh, which was founded through a legacy personal contribution of Rs. 50,000/- at that time left behind by him after his retirement as civil surgeon of Lakhimpur District in 1882.
The Dr. John Berry White Medical School had the fortune of obtaining 2 X-Ray Machine One 10MA and another 15MA to the Medical School 15 years after the monumental discovery of X-Ray by Prof.Ronetgen.
In the entire country, these two were perhaps the first X-Ray Machine. In the year 1933, the Indian Medical Council was formed and it took over the functions from the General Medical council of Great Britain.
AMC Dibrugarh is located at one corner of Dibrugarh and set in the midst of flowing lush fields of several Tea Estates. The main attraction that draws almost 150 UG and 50 PG students to this college every year is the campus life it has to offer.
The college campus contains staff quarters, meaning professors and students are always in good relationship. The college has some of the best teachers of the respective fields. The college is also proud to have some great principals from time to time of which one has also won the Padmashree award. The college has also completed its Diamond jubilee celebrations in November 2007.
AMC Dibrugarh offers MBBS program of 4 and ½ years, plus one-year internship in following disciplines: Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Pathology, Microbiology, Forensic & State Medicine, Community Medicine, Medicine, Surgery(which includes orthopedics), Pediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Ophthalmology & Otorhinolaryngology.
Along with the medical courses, AMC Dibrugarh also offers paramedical courses, viz. Nursing and Midwifery and Diploma in Pharmacy.
Central Library of AMC Dibrugarh is located in First Floor of Administrative Block. A centralized library is well designed with separate reading rooms for under-graduates and post graduates provides students with sufficient reference books, text books , journals etc. Coming up is an Electronic library with 20 computer nodes.
Library collection comprises of 28,692 books, 7,851 Back volume Journals, 25 journals subscribes, 9,280 SC/ST books.
Assam Medical College Dibrugarh provides separate accommodation facility for both boys and girls for the Postgraduate as well as the undergraduate students. Each hostel comprises of following amenities: TV in common room, Hostel News Paper, Lawn Tennis Court, Gymnasium, Indoor games(Table Tennis, carrom,chess etc.), Field for outdoor games, Laundry services, Central dining hall, Hostel Library etc.